Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pincushion Armband and Pincushion scissors holder

For Mother's Day last year, I was inspired by the pincushion posted by Tea Rose Home at:

I didn't have any fake leaves or flowers handy, so instead of going to the store, I surged squares of matching fabric, and folded the edges in.

From there it was quite simple. a circle of fabric is stuffed with batting to make the pincushion, and a strip is doubled up and top stitched to make the band, with velcro attached to the right places to fit your wrist.


I made one for my mom and one for my mother-in-law.


The Scissors holder/Pincushion was an inspiration from our landlady, who has one. It was even more basic. I chose suiting fabric because it has plenty of holes in it, which means pins won't bother it. I measured a strip long enough to hold my scissors and a pin cushion.
I surged the edges, folded it up on itself and surged it so that it had a nice pocket for the scissors. Then I cut out a circle for the pin cushion, stuffed it with batting and sewed it on.

Then I noticed how ugly it was. I took some yarn matching my mom's scissors and stitches some flowers on it. Then I used tan and maroon yarn to hang it. My mom loves it. the longer part holds needles and safety pins, the pin cusion holds straight pins, and then scissors are right there. No more wondering where you put your scissors!


1 comment: