All of the sudden, it's not cold at night anymore.
Which means that Kewpie's warm PJ's are too warm to sleep in.
I really wanted to keep the embroidery around the neckline, and I loved the lightweight, stretchy blue knit.
I'd traced a t-shirt of Kewpie's before, following this tutorial from indietutes.
Then I lay it out on the nightgown, making sure that the neckline included the embroidered flowers.
After cutting it out, it was pretty simple. Sew the shoulders closed, and sew up the sides.
For the sleeves, I wanted to the follow the same idea as the green t shirt I made for Kewpie earlier. (Click here to see it.) So I used the original sleeves without making them smaller to fit the smaller frame.
This time, I measured 3 inches up from the armpit and gathered the sleeve until it fit inside the frame of the shirt. Then I pinned it in place and sewed it in.
I'm going to have to rework my pattern, because the shoulders were too big when I tried it on Kewpie.
Perhaps I had made it big enough for a seam allowance, and then I serged it and didn't take enough off. Who knows.
The leggings were super simple. I traced some knit pants of Kewpie's following Dana of MADE's idea. I didn't worry about backs or fronts, though, because they were going to fit rather tightly.
Pants are so easy to make!
Once they're cut out, just sew the front and back together and sew one long seam from ankle to crotch to ankle.
Sew in an elastic waist.
I think the whole project took me about an hour! (We'll see how long it takes to get that top to fit right, though.)
Addendum: Well, it's gotten even hotter, and I wasn't surprised to see the top worn alone one morning. So I took some scraps and cut out a four inch ruffle for the top, and now it's a nightgown again. Perhaps the fabric missed being a nightgown.
Lesson: don't throw away scraps. (My mother is probably disagreeing with me at this moment and about to explain to me that this is the way you become a pack rat. Too late, Mom.)