Friday, September 23, 2011

Why I got into crafts

When I was in college, I was asked to lead our women's group in home making activities. Besides the fact that we were all in our early twenties and lived in college apartments, I had no interest in any activities having to do with crafts and making home more livable. I focused on activities that helped us develop our personalities and hobbies, and was relieved that I didn't have to do any crafts.

When I graduated from college, I was too busy working. My creative urge went into my job and my hobbies. I took up guitar, spent a lot of time outdoors, and learned to love photography.

I first started making things in graduate school. I'm not the kind who likes to sit still, so four hours of class was torture for me. I "borrowed" my mom's yarn and crochet hooks and started crocheting scarves in class. During those two years, I made several, for me and my classmates.

I have my mom to thank for that. She taught me how to crochet and sew because she believed every woman should know that. I know it wasn't easy for her, because I was not an eager learner. Now, I'm so glad I learned. I also have my mom to thank for all of the supplies she let me "borrow." I need to start paying her back.

When my first child came along, I decided to stop working and stay home with her. Taking care of a child is a full time job, and I was busy, but I missed the creative outlets of work and hobbies. Some hobbies, I've kept, as you might see in my photography blog, whitmanwithacamera. Others, such as rock climbing, will have to wait until my children are older.

While I was at home, I discovered online the crafting blogs. I was amazed at these wonder women, who were able to raise their kids, keep their houses in order, make amazing craft tutorials and blog on a regular basis about it.

I am not that woman. I like to make things, because it gives me a sense of accomplishment that raising children can't give because THAT work is never done. But I am not the kind of woman who can do it all, so when I have to make choices, I'll feed and play with my children and dress them and change their diapers and then clean a little and then worry about the yard and garden and then if they happen to be asleep at the same time, create things. I wish I had more time to create, but I wouldn't trade my beautiful little girls for that.

My purpose for this blog is to record what I've done so that I won't forget how I did it. It doesn't seem likely that anyone other than my friends would want to see what I've done, but if you can use my instructions, you're welcome to them.

My pictures are precious to me because of the models I use to show off what I've done. The pictures are my property. Please do not use them without my written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment