Thursday, April 18, 2013

Size down a nightgown

I apologize for the lack of process pictures.  This was done at a whim.  It took about 30 minutes, and when I looked at it, I thought, "I should have done a tutorial on it."  Oh well.  Let me tell you how it happened.


Kewpie loves nightgowns.  I scaled one down for her way back here, and it's gotten too small for her.  My mom donated a nightgown she had that she'd never worn.

I used the same method as I have in the t-shirt dress.  That is, lay a shirt that fits, with the sleeves tucked in, on top of the nightgown with the shoulders matched together.

Trace the armholes and sides of the pattern t-shirt onto the nightgown until a few inches below the armholes.

Cut out what you've traced, angling out from the tracing until you've reached the edge of the nightgown.

Sew the sides back together.

To make a hem, I measured how long Kewpie wanted it to be, and cut the nightgown off a few inches above that.  Then I used the original hem as a ruffle.  I hate hemming knits, so I use the original hem as much as I can.

I was going to make sleeves the same as I did in the t-shirt dress, but then I remembered that this is a summer nightgown, and Kewpie gets hot easily.  So I took the hem of the original sleeves and used them to make a ruffle around the armhole.  


Finished!


1 comment:

  1. She looks gorgeous :)



    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete